Today is 6th Annual D-Blog Day 2010. D-blog Day was started on November 9th 2005 during Diabetes Awareness Month, to help unite diabetes bloggers and create awareness about diabetes.
- Diabetes does not have to be a Life Sentence! Yes Diabetes is the major pain in the backside but there is NO reason why people with Diabetes should not be able aspire to great things like everyone else. There are countless high profile persons who have managed to aspire to truly great things without allowing diabetes to stop them. Don’t let Diabetes control your life!
- Knowledge is power! By educating yourself about Diabetes and General Healthy Living, you will be in a better position to make more informed choices and decisions, that will ultimately help you lead a healthier and more fruitful lifestyle.
- You are not alone! The DOC is a global entity that will cheer you up when the chips are down, high 5/fist bump you when you get good news or that elusive A1c result! The DOC will be there 24/7/365 to help you out and offer advice. Most importantly of all they become your friends! So use and abuse us and don’t be afraid to say hi and ask questions! 【ツ】 One question asked and within 5 mins 6 replies! How’s that for support???
- Ensure you have the best tools that are available to help you manage your Diabetes. Your Diabetes May Vary as will your access to care/support/technology, so you have to work hard with what you have and make the best use of it to YOUR advantage.
- This may sound basic to some, but if you have never come across CARB Counting, now is a great time to look into it. Unfortunately healthcare is so random across the globe that people go years without realising the benefits from simple carb counting techniques. It took me 11 years!
- When I have that bar of chocolate I know exactly what I am doing and for the most part is part of a meal and Insulin has been administered to take care of that bar of chocolate (ok maybe a couple but who’s counting right). Please please do not turn around say “What would you Doc say”. I know precisely what my Endo will say and it’s probably not repeatable here! Oh and please please do not liken eating chocolate with my diabetes as we do with a smoker with a chest problems or a alcoholic with liver problems, they chose to smoke and drink. I certainly did not ask for Diabetes!
So there you have it, my Diabetes Six. Feel free to pitch in with your own thoughts whether you agree/disagree or indeed have anything to add to what I have said above. Please remember that Your Diabetes May Vary (YDMV), so you really ought to read my disclaimer!
Have a wonderful day everyone and remember you should be able to find more D-Blog Posts via this Twitter Search – http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23dblogday